After successful screenings at several festivals across the globe, “Supermen of Malegaon” is slated for its theatrical release in India on June 29, 2012.
“Supermen of Malegaon” is a documentary that captures a motley bunch of cinema fanatics in Malegaon, Maharashtra who remake Bollywood and Hollywood films on miniscule budgets, which they shoot and star in, and screen for their local audience in Malegaon. This time, they take on the challenge of making Superman. The film follows them on this journey-at times funny, tragic and contemplative.
“Supermen of Malegaon” took off when director Faiza Ahmad Khan, along with co-producer Gargey Trivedi and Siddharth Thakur, won the Asian Pitch in Singapore in 2008. The Asian Pitch is organised by Mediacorp in Singapore, NHK in Japan and KBS in South Korea. Several directors were invited to pitch their subjects, and “Supermen of Malegaon” was one of the three films that won the Fund.
The film was made over seven months.
It picked up its first award in Rome, at the Asiatica Film Mediale, where it won the Jury Prize for Best Documentary. Subsequently it has been screened at over thirty prestigious international film festivals including Silverdocs and Full Frame Documentary Festivals in the US, the Karlovy Vary in Czech Republic and IFFI in India, and has won 15 awards for its crew.
On the occasion of the release, Director Faiza Khan said, “The film’s had an extraordinary journey so far and we’re sure that will continue with its run at the cinemas. Every single screening of SUPERMEN… that we’ve had has been tremendous in terms of the audience engaging with the film- from a screening under the stars in the Narmada Valley for over a thousand to the most recent ‘house full’ Vikalp screening at Prithvi. The response was phenomenal- a packed house and roars of laughter. There is an audience for these films. So what if it is small as compared to an audience for a Bollywood film? We’re not even looking to compete. What we need is many spaces within this larger space for many kinds of films- documentaries, regional, experimental, to exist. There is huge appreciation for our films abroad, and we’re hoping that the audiences here will respond in the same way…”
The film was crafted by an immensely talented group of people, some of whom are rising stars in the industry in their own right. Sneha Khanwalkar and Hitesh Sonik scored the music for the film. Shweta Venkat was the editor and Gargey Trivedi co-produced SUPERMEN. Niraj Gera, Sound Designer, also worked on the film. Ranjan Singh who was head of Marketing at PVR and who has been responsible for many independent films, as well as documentaries, releasing theatrically in India, is working on steering the film to a successful theatrical release.
Reviews and article on swide.com website
Awards won by “Supermen of Malegaon”
- Jury Award for Best Documentary at Asiatica Film Mediale, Rome
- Jury Award for Best Documentary at Kara Film Festival, Pakistan
- Best Debut Film at Film South Asia, Nepal
- Best Editing, Documentary and Director at the Asian Festival of First Films, Singapore
- Best Editing at the Asian TV Awards, Singapore
- Audience Choice Award for Documentary, Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles (IFFLA)
- Golden Camera Award for Best Documentary, US International Film and Video Festival
- Gold Awards for Editing and Best Documentary and a Silver Award for Sound Design, Indian Documentary Producers Association
- Best Documentary at Bollywood and Beyond, Stuttgart
- Youth Choice Award at Vesoul Asian Film Festival.
- Special Mention at Best Film Festival, Romania
SOURCE: glamsham.com (11/06/2012)